How does laser hair removal work ?
A human hair is made up of three main parts:
- The Hair Shaft
- The Follicle
- The Bulb
A wave of light (which generates heat) is emitted from the laser aperture. This is drawn down the hair shaft to the hair follicle. where it greatly inhibits hair re-growth. The inbuilt coolant in both our machines means that the treatment is comfortable.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Laser treatment is the nearest we can get to achieving long term excellent results in hair removal.
Occasionally, it is possible to see the re-growth of small amounts of hair over a period of time but this is usually weaker and lighter in colour and can be treated again if necessary.
How long do the treatments take?
This depends on the area being treated and ranges from 5 minutes for the upper lip or chin, 15 for the bikini line and up to 60 – 90 minutes for full legs.
What should I expect following the treatment?
At the end of each treatment, the treated area may show slight reddening which tends to disappear after only a few minutes. The hairs remain in the skin but those that have been damaged by the laser will gradually drop out over the following 2 weeks. This sometimes gives the appearance of the hair growing more quickly than normal but is really due to the hair being shed from the skin.
Are there any side effects?
Usually the treated area has only a temporary redness which will disappear quickly.
Occasionally, a hot spot may last for more than a couple of hours and sometimes a blister may appear. In some cases, the treated area may be left with a temporary darker colour which will disappear after a few weeks.
How many sessions will I need?
The number of sessions required will depend on the colour of your hair and skin and hair thickness. Courser hair, darker skin and pale hair colour will often require more sessions.
Typically 4 to 6 sessions are required to treat a woman with pale skin and dark hair and maybe 6 or 7 in a darker skin. However, some clients may require more treatments to achieve the desired result. Men will often require more treatments, especially with their beards.
As the treatment depends on the light energy being absorbed by the pigmented colour of the hair, black and dark brown hair responds quicker than light brown and blonde hair. As white, grey, platinum blond hair contains virtually no pigment; laser hair removal is unlikely to be effective.
Why do I need more than one treatment?
The laser can only affect those follicles that have a growing hair in them. Only about one third of your follicles are growing at any given time.
Hair grows in a 3-phase cycle – it has a growing phase, a dormancy phase and a resting phase. Only hair that is in the growing (anagen) phase can be successfully removed with the laser. At any one time approximately 85% of hairs are in the anagen phase.
How often will I need treatments?
Different body areas require different intervals between retreatment. This is due to differing types of hair, hormone levels and hair growth cycles. The length of time between treatments will increase after a few treatments. After the first few sessions, you will rebook your appointments when you see approximately 30% regrowth.
How do I prepare for Laser Hair Removal?
- Do not wax, pluck, bleach or use electrolysis for 4 weeks before and throughout the course of your treatments. It is important for the hair to be visible at the skin’s surface for the treatment to be effective. Depilatory creams may be used up to 48 hours prior to your treatment.
- Do not use Retin A cream for at least 5 days prior to your treatment.
- For 4 weeks before and for the duration of your course of treatments, avoid all tanning, either artificial or real. Treatment will be more effective if your skin is as pale as possible in the areas to be treated. For your own safety,
- If needed, apply Emla (anaesthetic cream) for pain relief at least half an hour before your appointment time.
- Facial hair should be shaved 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Hair on the chest, back or legs should be shaved 48 hours prior to your appointment.